• In the early 1980's, Corofin set about winning the Intermediate Football Championship, but met with several reversals along the road. In 1981 they lost the Geraldine League Final to Coolmeen, while the following year in 1982, they lost out to Lissycasey in the Banner Cup Final.
  • In 1984, the tide turned. Corofin captured the Banner Cup, beating Kilfenora in the final in Carron, which was a curtain raiser to the County Senior Football Final in the GAA's centenary year.
  • The Banner Cup victory entitled Corofin to play in the 1985 Cusack Cup (the senior football league). Corofin rose to the challenge and made it all the way to the semi-final, where they were most unlucky to lose out to Kilrush. Corofin took the scalp of numerous big teams on their way to the semi-final, including that of Kilkee, the then county champions. Despite these impressive performances, the Intermediate Championship eluded Corofin, but this was all about to change....
  • In 1987,Corofin beat Wolfe Tones and Coolmeen to qualify for the Intermediate Football final where they would meet near neighbours Kilfenora. Corofin settled quickly, yet Kilfenora were leading 0-3 to 0-2 coming up to half-time. But a goal and a point from Michael Ryan, plus a point from Brendan Kenny put Corofin into a 1-4 to 0-3 lead at the break. Kilfenora raised their game in the second half, but a goal from Brendan Kenny killed them off. Corofin ran out eventual winners on a scoreline of 2-5 to 0-6 to win their very first Intermediate Football Championship. This team was managed by John Kelleher, Willie Carey and Jim Harmon.
  • In the same year, further success came in the form of the Minor B Championship. Two years later in 1989, the U-21 B Championship was captured.     


  • 1980 saw Corofin capture their second Junior A title, when they upset the odds by beating Ballyea in Tulla. The highlight of this final was the performance of Corofin's Pat Malone who played a stormer on Ballyea's centre-back Paddy Quinn. This team also included the likes of Michael O'Dell in goal, Martin Tierney and Michael Davoren in the full-back-line, Val O'Sullivan and Michael Neylon at half-back, James Shannon at centre-field and Noel Williams and the great-hearted James Howard in the forwards. 
  • Corofin were now back up playing Intermediate again, and during the 1980's Corofin reached two Intermediate Finals (1986 & 1988) and six semi-finals. They also won two Intermediate Leagues in 1983 and 1989.
  • Corofin were very unfortunate not to win the Intermediate Hurling Championship in the 1980's, but their luck was about to change at the turn of the next decade.