Corofin book place in Intermediate Football Final following derby win

posted 13 Sep 2015, 09:54 by Corofin GAA   [ updated 13 Sep 2015, 12:05 ]

Intermediate Football Championship, Semi-Final

Corofin 2-9  Kilfenora 0-9

September 13th, 2015

Corofin have booked their place in the final of the 2015 Intermediate Football Championship following a 2 goal semi-final victory over near neighbours Kilfenora, which was played in a wet and windy Miltown Malbay on Sunday, September 13th.

Kilfenora, playing with the aid of a strong wind in the first half, got off to a blistering start with 2 quick fire points inside the first minute. Corofin struggled to settle into the game, with numerous point scoring attempts drifting wide of the target. Kilfenora had no such problems however, as they kicked over their 3rd point of the game, while Corofin remained scoreless. Darren Malone stopped the rot with Corofin's first point, but Kilfenora replied with a brace of points to hold a commanding four point lead. Corofin finally began to move up the gears,and they scored 4 of the last 5 points of the first half, with Darren Malone converting 2 frees and Jamie Malone and John Keane adding a point each from play. However, when the half-time whistle blew, Corofin were still behind on the score-board by the minimum of margins. Half-Time score: Kilfenora 0-6 Corofin 0-5.

It was Corofin's turn to get off to a blistering start in the second half, as points from Jamie Malone and Damien Ryan (free) transformed Corofin's one point deficit into a one point lead. Killian Malone replied for Kilfenora to level the game at 7 points apiece, but from then Corofin began to take a stranglehold on the game. Wing-back Colm Rice took off on a meandering run, off-loaded to Darren Malone who duly passed to brother Jamie who finished to the net. Kilfenora were now facing an up hill battle and their cause wasn't helped when full-forward Jack O'Dea was sent off after picking up 2 yellow cards. Midfielder John Keane kicked over his 2nd point of the game, before a short Kilfenora kick-out was won by Corofin, with Jason Tierney giving the assist to Jamie Malone who buried goal No. 2. Another Darren Malone free stretched Corofin's lead to 8 points, as they began to empty the bench. With still up to 10 minutes of the game remaining however, Corofin seemed to take their foot off the pedal, and they allowed Kilfenora in to score two further points to reduce the deficit to 2 clear goals. However, Kilfenora didn't create any real goal chance throughout the entire game, with Jamie Malone's two majors proving the difference at the end. Full-Time score: Corofin 2-9 Kilfenora 0-9

Kilmihil now stand in Corofin's way of Intermediate Championship honours, as Corofin strive to go one better on last year when they were defeated in the final by Wolfe Tones following a replay.

The following was the Corofin team line-out and scorers:

1. Kieran Carkill

2. Donnachadh Kelleher

3. Eamonn Malone

4. Diarmaid Cleary

5. Shay Malone 

6. Brendan Keane 

7. Colm Rice 

8. Luke O'Loughlin 

9. John Keane 0-2

10. Fionn Clancy

11. Darren Malone 0-4 (0-3 frees)

12.  Stephen Heagney 

13. Jason Tierney 

14. Damien Ryan 0-1 (0-1 free)

15. Jamie Malone 2-2  

Gearóid Kelly       for   Diarmaid Cleary 
David Corbett       for   John Keane
Fergie Neylon      for    Damien Ryan
Michael Kelly       for    Stephen Heagney
Jason O'Connor  for    Darren Malone
Fiachra Roche     for   Shay Malone