Corofin advance to Quarter Finals of Intermediate Hurling Championship

posted 27 Aug 2018, 09:11 by Corofin GAA   [ updated 27 Aug 2018, 10:16 ]

Intermediate Hurling Championship, Round 2

Corofin 3-18  Inagh-Kilnamona(2) 1-15    

August 25th, 2018

Corofin secured their place in the Quarter Finals of the 2018 Clare Intermediate Hurling Championship following a nine point victory over Inagh-Kilnamona's second team in a Round 2 tie which was played in Éire Óg on Saturday August 25th.

Corofin were the dominant team in the opening quarter and had 1-6 clocked up on the score board, before Inagh-Kilnamona were able to register their first score. Full-Forward Gearóid Cahill goaled after 5 minutes, batting a Stephen Heagney pass to the net. Points quickly followed from Jamie Malone (3), Cahill (2) and Stephen Heagney, before Inagh-Kilnamona got off the mark with a point from play. Corofin's response was imminent, with Killian Neylon and Cahill both raising white flags. Corofin now held a commanding 1-8 to 0-1 lead, but Inagh-Kilnamona rallied during the closing stages of the first half, and out-scored their opponents by 0-7 to 0-2, to leave just five points between the sides when the half-time whistle blew. Cahill added two further points for Corofin while James O'Halloran was Inagh-Kilnamona's scorer in chief, with 5 points in in the opening half. Half-Time score: Corofin 1-10 Inagh-Kilnamona(2) 0-8.

The opening stages of the second half were a tit for tat affair, with Inagh-Kilnamona battling hard to keep in touch with Corofin. Fergus Killeen pointed inside the first minute but James O'Halloran responded with a like score for Inagh-Kilnamona. Both sides continued to trade scores, equally sharing the next 10 points between them, with Cahill and O'Halloran continuing to be the chief marksmen for their respective sides. Then came the games turning point, when Corofin substitute Kevin Heagney scored his sides second goal having been put through by Cahill. Corofin began to turn the screw when Eoin Davoren caught a cross field pass from Jamie Malone and roofed the net from close range. Inagh-Kilnamona did score a goal of their own when a long range free ended up in the Corofin net, but time was not on their side and Corofin closed out the game with points from Davoren and Kevin Heagney. Full-Time score: Corofin 3-18 Inagh-Kilnamona(2) 1-15.

Corofin will watch the Round 3 games with great interest, as they wait to find out their Quarter Final opponents, with the Quarter Final games pencilled in for the weekend of September 22nd/23rd. In the meantime, focus now switches back to the big ball, with the Corofin Senior Footballers playing neighbours Kilfenora in a pivotal Round 2 Championship fixture this coming Saturday (Sept 1st), with the losers being relegated to the Intermediate ranks for 2019.  

The following was the Corofin team line-out and scorers:

1. Darren Malone 

2. Martin Tierney

3. Damien O'Loughlin

4. John Rees

5. Fergus Killeen   0-2

6. Cian O'Dea   

7. Damian Ryan

8. Eoin Davoren  1-1       

9. Fionn Clancy  

10. Stephen Heagney  0-1      

11. Jamie Malone  0-3   

12. Eoin Clancy

13. Cillian Clancy

14. Gearóid Cahill  1-8 (0-5 frees)    

15. Killian Neylon  0-1 

Kevin Heagney  1-2      for   Cillian Clancy
Seán O'Brien                for   John Rees
Luke O'Loughlin            for   Martin Tierney
Donnchadh Kelleher     for   Damian Ryan
Diarmaid Cleary            for   Stephen Heagney