Last minute goal sees Corofin retain Senior Football status

posted 28 Aug 2016, 09:50 by Corofin GAA   [ updated 28 Aug 2016, 13:17 ]

Senior Football Championship, Relegation Semi-Final

Corofin 2-7  Kilrush 1-8

August 28th, 2016

A last minute goal from Gearóid Kelly saw Corofin edge out Kilrush in the Senior Football Relegation Semi-Final which was played in near perfect conditions in Quilty on Sunday, August 28th. Corofin have now retained their Senior status for 2017 while Kilrush must take on Doora-Barefield in the Relegation Final, with the loser dropping down to Intermediate.

The first score of the game fell to Corofin's Damien Ryan, when he pointed from play. A brace of points put Kilrush into the lead, but a pointed '45 from Ryan brought the sides level. A Gearóid O'Brien point edged Kilrush back in front, but their slender lead would not last for long. A great move up the left wing involving Damien Ryan and Jason Tierney ended up with Jamie Malone finishing to the net, to give Corofin a 2 point lead which they would hold until the break. Half-Time score: Corofin 1-2 Kilrush 0-3. 

Gearóid O'Brien reduced the deficit to a single point when he pointed the opening score of the second half for Kilrush. Damien Ryan responded with another pointed free, before the impressive O'Brien, who continued to be a menace for the Corofin defence, put over a brace of points for Kilrush to level up the game yet again. Corofin retook the lead following a Gearóid Kelly point from play, but a goal and a point in quick succession from Kilrush put 'The Shams' in the driving seat as they now held a 3 point lead, 1-7 to 1-4. John Keane put over a much needed point for Corofin, which was followed by another Damien Ryan pointed free to leave just a single point between the sides. A huge Con O'Brien point from distance put Kilrush 2 ahead, as the clock ticked down towards full time. Damien Ryan's fifth point of the game (his fourth from a free) cut the deficit to one point. It was now or never for Corofin and when Gearóid Kelly won the ball in the right corner-forward position he beared down on goal and unleashed an unstoppable shot which ended up in the top corner of the net. Corofin were now 2 points clear with the game now in injury time. There was still time for Kilrush to go searching for a winning goal, but the Corofin defence held firm and kept 'The Shams' at bay. Full-Time score: Corofin 2-7 Kilrush 1-8. 

With their Senior Football status now secure, Corofin's focus will now turn to their final group game in the Intermediate Hurling Championship against Smith O'Briens next Saturday (September 3rd). The footballers also have one outstanding league fixture against Kilkee to play, with promotion still very much a possibility, while there is also the small matter of the U-21 Football Championship which is due to take place in October. The season is far from over for Corofin GAA Club.

The following was the Corofin team line-out and scorers:

1. Kieran Carkill

2. Colm Rice

3. Manus Malone

4. Donnchadh Kelleher

5. Shay Malone

6. Brendan Keane

7. David Corbett

8. Damien Ryan 0-5 (0-4 frees) 

9. John Keane 0-1

10. Jason Tierney   

11. Jamie Malone 1-0  

12. Fionn Clancy  

13. Stephen Heagney

14. Gearóid Kelly 1-1    

15. Eoin Davoren   

Eoin Clancy       for   David Corbett
Pádraic O'Dea   for   Eoin Davoren