Tubber edge out Corofin in Intermediate Hurling Championship

posted 27 Aug 2017, 01:56 by Corofin GAA   [ updated 27 Aug 2017, 03:04 ]

Intermediate Hurling Championship, Round 3

Tubber 1-20  Corofin 1-15  

August 26th, 2017

Despite pushing Tubber all the way, Corofin were knocked out of the 2017 Intermediate Hurling Championship after losing out narrowly to their near neighbours in a Round 3 fixture which was played in Cusack Park on Saturday, August 26th.

Tubber got the opening score of the game with a Francis McCormack point, but Eoin Davoren replied in kind for Corofin's first score. Tubber then began to dominate the opening stages of the first half scoring 8 of the next 10 points, with two Stephen Heagney frees keeping Corofin in touch. Corofin then entered a purple patch with another Stephen Heagney free been followed by an Eoin Davoren goal after he finished to the net after receiving a pass from Kevin Heagney. A fine point from out near the sideline from Gearóid Kelly left just the minimum between the sides. Tubber stopped the rot with their tenth point which required much consultation between the referee and umpires before the white flag was eventually raised. Corofin replied with 2 of the next 3 points via Davoren and another Stephen Heagney free, only for Tubber to pounce for a pivotal goal from the stick of Clive Early with virtually the last puc of the first half. Half-Time score: Tubber 1-11 Corofin 1-7.

Stephen Heagney continued to be unerring from frees in the second half and he converted his fifth free to register the opening score following the half-time break. The sides would go on to share the next 8 points with 3 more Heagney frees and a long range free from full back Damien O'Loughlin keeping the pressure firmly on Tubber. Three unanswered points from Blaine Earley (2) and Francis McCormack stretched Tubber's advantage to six points, before Heagney again split the posts with yet another converted free. Tubber responded with their nineteenth white flag before Heagney converted a brace of frees to reduce the margin to 4. However with time running out, it was goals that Corofin required but the final score of the game fell to Tubber when their chief marksman Blaine Earley split the posts to leave 5 points between the sides when the final whistle blew just moments later. Full-Time score: Tubber 1-20 Corofin 1-15.

While Corofin will be disappointed with the result, they can take much positives from their 2017 Championship campaign and can look forward to the future with much hope and confidence. While the hurleys are now downed for 2017, the Senior Footballers will look to advance to the Quarter Finals of the Championship when they take on Éire Óg in Round 3 of the Championship next Saturday (Sept 2nd) in Gurteen.

The following was the Corofin team line-out and scorers:

1. Darren Malone  

2. Brendan Keane

3. Damien O'Loughlin 0-1 (0-1 free)

4. John Rees

5. Martin Tierney

6. Cian O'Dea

7. Damien Ryan 

8. Jamie Malone  

9. Gearóid Kelly 0-1

10. Fionn Clancy

11. Paudie Barry  

12. Michael Kelly

13. Stephen Heagney 0-11 (0-11 frees)

14. Kevin Heagney 

15. Eoin Davoren 1-2   

Aidan Long                 for   Martin Tierney
Donnchadh Kelleher   for   Gearóid Kelly