Second half dominance sees Broadford overcome Corofin in Intermediate Hurling Championship

posted 13 Aug 2017, 02:14 by Corofin GAA   [ updated 13 Aug 2017, 03:14 ]

Intermediate Hurling Championship, Round 2

Broadford 2-24  Corofin 2-12  

August 12th, 2017

Broadford overcame a 4 point half-time deficit to power past Corofin in the second round of the 2017 Intermediate Hurling Championship which was played in Wolfe Tones GAA pitch in Shannon on Saturday, August 12th.

Broadford, who won the toss and elected to play with the aid of a strong breeze in the first half, opened the scoring with a pointed free. Stephen Heagney replied by scoring the first of his four points before 3 points without reply from Broadford put the East Clare side into a 0-4 to 0-1 lead. It looked like Broadford, backed by the aid of a strong breeze, were going to take a firm grip on proceedings, but Corofin had other ideas. Corofin altered their play and deployed a sweeper in defence with corner forward Gearóid Kelly retreating to the half-back line. Points from Jamie Malone and Kevin Heagney were followed up with a Heagney goal when the Corofin full-forward caught a high ball, turned and rifled to the net to give Corofin a 2 point advantage, 1-3 to 0-4. When Broadford registered their fifth point, the reply from Corofin was immediate with Eoin Davoren pointing. Broadford raised a further brace of white flags but again Corofin responded in kind with points from Jamie Malone and Stephen Heagney (free). Broadford added two more points before Corofin substitute Declan Lee made an instant impact by landing a fine point from the wing just a minute after been introduced to the fray. Kevin Heagney was proving too hot to handle for the Broadford defence and when he was hauled to the ground inside the square, Damien Ryan duly dispatched the resultant penalty to the net to give Corofin a 4 point advantage at the break. Half-Time score: Corofin 2-7 Broadford 0-9.

Broadford emerged a transformed team for the second half and blitzed Corofin for 1-3 inside the opening 5 minutes. Broadford would go on to add a further 5 points without reply before Corofin registered their first score of the second half via a Stephen Heagney free. However, Broadford continued to exert their influence on the game and they added 4 of the next 5 points, with Corofin's point coming from the stick of Jamie Malone. Corofin did eat into Broadford's lead with points from Eoin Davoren, Stephen Heagney and Gearóid Kelly, but Broadford had the final say and they closed out the game with four unanswered points to leave them with a comfortable 12 point cushion when the full-time whistle blew. Full-Time score: Broadford 2-24 Corofin 2-12.

Corofin will now take on one of the winners from the losers round in Round 3 but for the next week attention switches to the big ball as the Senior Footballers take on Wolfe Tones in Round 2 of the Championship which is scheduled for next Saturday August 19th in Gurteen.

The following was the Corofin team line-out and scorers:

1. Darren Malone  

2. Martin Tierney

3. Stephen Burke

4. John Rees

5. Damien Ryan 1-0 (1-0 pen)

6. Damien O'Loughlin 

7. Cian O'Dea

8. Jamie Malone 0-3 

9. Stephen Heagney 0-4 (0-3 frees)

10. David Corbett

11. Paudie Barry  

12. Fionn Clancy

13. Eoin Davoren 0-2

14. Kevin Heagney 1-1

15. Gearóid Kelly 0-1   

Declan Lee 0-1   for   Paudie Barry
Paudie Barry       for   Fionn Clancy
Aidan Long         for   David Corbett
Shay Malone      for   Damien O'Loughlin