Last gasp Wolfe Tones point sends Intermediate Football Final to a replay

posted 28 Sep 2014, 11:18 by Corofin GAA   [ updated 28 Sep 2014, 11:55 ]
Intermediate Football Final     Corofin 0-9 Wolfe Tones 1-6

September 28th, 2014

A pointed free from Wolfe Tones full-forward Gary Leahy in the third and final minute of injury time ensured that the 2014 Intermediate Football Final would go to a replay, as Corofin and Wolfe Tones served up a low-scoring, yet hard-worked draw in ideal conditions for football in Cusack Park on Sunday, September 28th.

There was one change in personnel and several positional switches to the Corofin team which was named in the match programme. Full-forward Eoin Davoren did not start, and his place was taken by Diarmuid Cleary who was positioned in his customary left corner-back slot. Midfielder Luke O'Loughlin was stationed at full-forward instead of Davoren, while as expected, Jamie Malone, listed at right corner-forward, took up a roaming role

Corofin got off to much the better start, and scored the first two points of the game through Damien Ryan (free) and John Keane. Wolfe Tones responded with their first point, before Corofin put two further points on the board through Jamie Malone and a left-legged chip by Damien Ryan. Next came a pivotal moment in the game when Wolfe Tones intercepted the ball in the middle of the field and the resultant attack up the field yielded a Wolfe Tones goal. Despite having the majority of the possession, Corofin now found themselves one point in arrears, trailing by 1-2 to 0-4 after numerous scoring chances had drifted wide of the posts. However, Corofin did get the final 2 points of the first half to go from one point down to one point up, the scores coming from John Keane and Damien Ryan. Half-Time score: Corofin 0-6 Wolfe Tones 1-2.

Damien Ryan and Gary Leahy of Wolfe Tones exchanged pointed frees in the opening minutes of the second half. Ryan added another pointd free for Corofin (his 3rd pointed free of the game and 5th point overall) while Jamie Malone tagged on his second, and Corofin's ninth point. Significantly however, this score from Malone in the 41st minute would prove to be Corofin's last score of the game, as they failed to score during the remaining 19 minutes of the contest. Corofin were now leading by 0-9 to 1-3 and looked firm favourites to win their first Intermediate Football Championship since 2006. However a black card for Corofin's Jamie Malone coupled with the concession of a few dubious frees proved decisive as Wolfe Tones reeled in Corofin's 3 point lead. Heading into injury time, Wolfe Tones had reduced the deficit to just one point. At the end of the 3rd minute of injury times, Wolfe Tones were awarded a free in front of the goal, which Leahy duly kicked over the bar to tie the game, Corofin 0-9 Wolfe Tones 1-6.

County panelist John Keane who gave an exhibition in the middle of the field for Corofin was a strong contender for man of the match, while Brendan Keane, Damien Ryan, Eoin Clancy and Jamie Malone (up until his black card dismissal) were others to shine for Corofin. Both teams now return to training ahead of the replay, with Wolfe Tones feeling very relieved to have a second chance. For Corofin, it's a case of picking themselves up and striving to ensure that the job is finished off at the second time of asking.

The following was the Corofin team line-out and scorers: 

1.   Kieran Carkill

2.   Eoin Clancy

3.   Manus Malone

4.   Shay Malone

5.   Colm Rice

6.   Eamonn Malone

7.   Brendan Keane 

8.   John Keane 0-2

9.   Luke O'Loughlin

10. Jason Tierney

11. Fionn Clancy

12. Gearóid Kelly

13. Jamie Malone 0-2

24. Diarmuid Cleary

15. Damien Ryan 0-5 (0-3 frees)

Stephen Heagney   for     Fionn Clancy
Eoin Davoren         for     Gearóid Kelly
David Corbett        for     Jamie Malone (black card)

Subs not used: 
Liam Corbett
Keith O'Loughlin
Michael Kelly
Darren Malone
Fergus Killeen