Intermediate Football Final beckons for Corofin

posted 13 Sep 2014, 21:05 by Corofin GAA   [ updated 14 Sep 2014, 08:17 ]
Intermediate Football Championship     Corofin 0-12 Éire Óg 0-6

September 13th, 2014

Corofin have advanced to the final of the 2014 Intermediate Football Championship following a double scores 0-12 to 0-6 semi-final win over Éire Óg's second string, in a game played in Gurteen on Saturday, September 13th.

Damien Ryan opened the scoring with a pointed free for Corofin. Éire Óg responded in kind to level the game. Damien Ryan put Corofin back in front with his second point, this time from play, but again Éire Óg matched Corofin's score to leave the sides tied at 0-2 apiece after 10 minutes. Corofin now began to up the ante and scored the next 3 points of the game through Jamie Malone, Brendan Keane and another pointed Damien Ryan free. Éire Óg could only reply with one more point before Corofin scored 3 further points via Jamie Malone (2) and the left boot of midfielder John Keane. However this proved to be John Keane's last action in the game as he was forced to retire through injury and was replaced by Stephen Heagney. Corofin closed out the half to lead at the break by 5 points, 0-8 to 0-3.

Éire Óg needed a strong start to the 2nd half in order to remain in the contest. They were denied an almost certain goal following a superb save by veteran goalkeeper Kieran Carkill. Éire Óg had a second chance for a goal just minutes later, but again goalkeeper Carkill came to Corofin's rescue with an excellent double save. From the resultant 45, Éire Óg opened the second half scoring with a point. Eoin Davoren then had a goal chance for Corofin but his powerful shot went over the bar, instead of under. Éire Óg replied with their 5th point of the game before 2 pointed frees for Corofin, one from substitute Shay Malone and the other from scorer in chief Damien Ryan, gave Corofin an 0-11 to 0-5 advantage. Corofin lost 2 more players to injury when Eamonn Malone and Gearóid Kelly were forced to cry off following late challenges. However Corofin always had a firm grip on this game and always kept Éire Óg at a safe distance. Stephen Heagney scored Corofin's 12th and final point of the game.
Éire Óg replied with their 6th point, but this proved to be a mere consolation score as when the final whistle blew, Corofin were 6 points ahead of the 'Townies' and safely through to the final.

Corofin are now back in the Internediate Football final for the first time since 2009 when they were edged out by a last minute winning point by Cratloe. Corofin will now hope to go one better when they take on Wolfe Tones in this years final. The team from Shannon, who will be eager to make a quick return to Senior Championship following their relegation last year, overcame Kildysert in their semi-final by the minimum of margins, 2-4 to 0-9.

The following was the Corofin team line-out and scorers: 

1.   Kieran Carkill

2.   Eoin Clancy

3.   Manus Malone

4.   Diarmuid Cleary

5.   Colm Rice

6.   Eamonn Malone

7.   Brendan Keane 0-1

8.   John Keane 0-1

9.   Luke O'Loughlin

10. Jason Tierney

11. Fionn Clancy

12. Gearóid Kelly

13. Jamie Malone 0-3

14. Eoin Davoren 0-1

15. Damien Ryan 0-4 (0-3 frees)

Stephen Heagney 0-1                   for     John Keane (inj)
Shay Malone 0-1 (0-1 free)         for      Eoin Davoren
Michael Kelly                               for      Eamonn Malone (inj) 
Darren Malone                             for      Gearóid Kelly (inj)
David Corbett                              for      Fionn Clancy