Extra time required for Corofin to see off Killanena challenge

posted 30 May 2015, 11:18 by Corofin GAA   [ updated 30 May 2015, 12:58 ]

Intermediate Hurling Championship, Round 1

Corofin 1-23 Killanena 2-11  (after extra time)

May 30th, 2015

Extra Time was required for Corofin to see off the challenge of a resilient Killanena outfit in the opening round of the Intermediate Hurling Championship, played in an extremely cold and windy Clarecastle on Saturday May 30th.

Although 9 points separated the sides at the end of Extra Time, this was a close contest throughout normal time, with very little separating the sides. Corofin had the advantage of a strong breeze in the first half, and had 4 points on the score-board before Killanena opened their account with a pointed free from Mark Flaherty. Shortly later, Killanena were awarded a penalty which they duly goaled. Corofin replied with a goal from a tight angle from Jamie Malone as they sought to build up a sizeable half-time lead with a strong wind at their backs during the first half. However, a second Killanena goal on the stroke of half-time left only 2 points between the sides at the break, Corofin 1-7 Killanena 2-2.

The sides swapped points in the opening minutes of the second half before the second penalty of the match was awarded, this time to Corofin. However, Damien Ryan's penalty was saved by the Killanena keeper, and Corofin had to settle for a point from the resultant '65. Both teams continued to exchange points during the second half, before two quick fire points from Stephen Heagney, one from a free and one from play, gave Corofin a 3 point lead. However, Corofin weren't able to close out the game as Killanena refused to wilt, and the East Clare side out-scored Corofin by 4 points to 1 during the final 10 minutes of the second half to force the game into Extra Time.

Corofin had wind advantage for the first period of Extra Time, and this would prove significant as they would go on to score 5 points during this 10 minute period, compared to one solitary point from Killanena. Corofin substitutes Declan Stack and Cian O'Dea got in on the scoring act, as Corofin engineered a 4 point advantage at half-time of Extra Time, Corofin 1-18 Killanena 2-11.

The second half of Extra Time was all one way traffic, with Killanena finally running out of steam, and Corofin's superior fitness coming to the fore. Despite having wind advantage, Killanena failed to score during the second half of Extra Time, while Corofin kept the scoreboard ticking over with points from Eamonn Malone (2), top-scorer Heagney, Stack and Michael Kelly. Final score: Corofin 1-23 Killanena 2-11.

Corofin finished the game with 10 different players on the score sheet in what was an industrious and battling performance, and they can now look forward to the draw for Round 2 of the Championship, while Killanena's name goes into the hat for the draw for the losers of Round 1.

The following was the Corofin team line-out and scorers:

1. Ronnie Meere

2. Brendan Keane

3. Donnchadh Kelleher (Capt.)

4. Paul Carkill

5. Damien Ryan 0-4 (0-4 frees) 

6. Luke O'Loughlin

7. Paudie Barry

8. Jamie Malone 1-2

9. Fionn Clancy

10. Stephen Heagney 0-8 (0-5 frees)

11. Eamonn Malone 0-2

12. Eoin Clancy 0-1

13. Eoin Davoren 0-1

14. Declan Lee  0-1

15. Michael Kelly 0-1

Subs (Normal Time):
Gearóid Kelly          for    Eoin Clancy (injured)
Cian O'Dea 0-1      for    Declan Lee
Declan Stack 0-2   for    Michael Kelly
Manus Malone        for    Paudie Barry

Subs (Extra Time):
Michael Kelly        for   
Gearóid Kelly 
Martin Tierney       for    Paul Carkill