Corofin bow out of U-21 Championship following gallant extra-time effort

posted 9 Nov 2014, 09:55 by Corofin GAA   [ updated 9 Nov 2014, 10:05 ]
U-21 B Football Championship, Semi-Final  

St. Breckans 2-12 Corofin 2-11 (after extra-time)

November 9th, 2014

Corofin sufferred a one point defeat to St. Breckans in the semi-final of the U-21 B Football Championship which was played in a windy Ennistymon on Sunday, November 9th. It took extra-time to separate the sides after the teams had finished level at the end of normal time.

Corofin played with the breeze in the first half and Jamie Malone got them off the mark with an expertly taken point with the outside of the right boot. However, St. Breckans soon got up and running, and hit 4 unanswered points, 3 of them from frees, to lead by 0-4 to 0-1. However a second point from Jamie Malone and a pointed free from wing-back Shay Malone reduced the deficit to a single point as the half-time whistle blew. Half-time score: St. Breckans 0-4 Corofin 0-3

St. Breckans got the opening score of the second half but a well finished goal from Jamie Malone put Corofin into the lead. A 6th point for St. Breckans was replied to with a point from Corofin substitute Donnacha Egan. St. Breckans then hit a purple a purple patch, scoring 1-3 without reply, to lead Corofin by 5 points, 1-9 to 1-4. Many in the crowd felt there was no way back for Corofin now, but Corofin's never say die attitude came to the fore, and they scored 5 points in a row to level the game at 1-9 apiece, thereby forcing the game into extra-time. The 5 points came from the boot of  Jamie Malone (2) (0-1 free),
Shay Malone (free) and brothers Gearóid and Michael Kelly.

St. Breckans had been reduced to 14 players midway during the second half but were now back to the full complement for the extra-time period. Again, they started the half the stronger team, scoring their second goal of the game in the opening minutes, which was then followed up with 2 points. Shay Malone's third pointed free stopped the rot, meaning St.Breckans held a 4 point advantage at half-time of extra-time 2-11 to 1-10. However, Corofin suffered a major blow during the first half of extra-time when they lost their full-back and talisman Manus Malone to a black card. 

The opening score of the 2nd period of extra-time came from Corofin full-forward Eoin Davoren. St. Breckans replied with their 12th and final point to restore their 4 point advantage. A goal from Jason McCarthy meant that this game would go right down to the wire with only one point separating the teams. With one minute left on the clock, Corofin won a free right on the 45 metre line. With the wind against them, Corofin opted to go short rather than have a kick at goal. Corofin's move broke down, and with it ended Corofin's chance of levelling the game. The full-time whistle sounded shortly after, with St. Breckans ahead by one point, 2-12 to 2-11.

This defeat brings the playing year to a close for Corofin, while St. Breckans now go on to meet O'Currys in the final. With the majority of this team still eligible for the U-21 grade next year, Corofin will be hoping to have a big say in this championship in 2015 while also looking to go one step further in the Intermediate championship.

The following was the Corofin team line-out and scorers: 

1.   Liam Corbett

2.   Diarmaid Cleary

3.   Manus Malone

4.   Stephen Burke

5.   Colm Rice

6.   Eoin Clancy

7.   Shay Malone 0-3 (0-3 frees)

8.   David Corbett

9.   Jamie Malone 1-4 (0-1 free)

10. Colin Vaughan

11. Michael Kelly 0-1

12. Gearóid Kelly 0-1

13. Aidan Collins

14. Eoin Davoren 0-1

15. Jason McCarthy 1-0

Donnacha Egan 0-1   for   Jason McCarthy
Jonathan Lane           for   Manus Malone (black card)
Jason McCarthy        for   Colm Rice (injured)