Corofin bow out of Intermediate Hurling Championship as Wolfe Tones progress

posted 5 Sep 2015, 12:17 by Corofin GAA   [ updated 5 Sep 2015, 13:14 ]

Intermediate Hurling Championship, Quarter Final

Wolfe Tones 3-14 Corofin 0-6

September 5th, 2015

Corofin have bowed out of the Intermediate Hurling Championship at the quarter final stage, after Wolfe Tones ran out easy winners in a game played at Éire Óg GAA pitch on Saturday, September 5th. While a 17 point defeat was Corofin's lot by the end of the game, the final scoreline does not do justice to Corofin's battling performance, as it took until the final 10 minutes of the game for Wolfe Tones to eventually shake off the stubborn challenge of their opponents.

Corofin midfielder Jamie Malone got the opening score of the game with a point from play inside the first minute. However Corofin would not score again until the 20th minute as Wolfe Tones raided for 5 consecutive points. This was followed by a pivotal moment in the game, when the Corofin defence failed to clear a routine ball, and Wolfe Tones got through for a goal of the soft variety. When Corofin were awarded a 21 metre free in the 20th minute, Corofin felt they had no option but to go for goal, even at this early stage in the game. However, Damien Ryan's effort was stopped on the line. From the resultant clearance, the ball fell for Manus Malone who split the posts for Corofin's second point. The final stages of the first half, saw Stephen Heagney and Aaron Shanagher exchange 2 pointed frees, to leave 6 points between the sides at the break. Half-Time score: Wolfe Tones 1-7 Corofin 0-4.

Wolfe Tones' Aaron Shanagher got the scoring underway again when play resumed for the second half with another pointed free. Corofin now started to up their performance, and a brace of points from Heagney reduced the gap to five. However, the fact that Corofin's sixth point of the game would turn out to be their last, would ultimately prove their downfall. Despite battling to the finish, Corofin failed to translate their hard work into scores. Corofin needed goals, but seldom troubled the Wolfe Tones rearguard. A well worked Corofin move ended with John Keane with possession on the edge of the square but his attempt at goal was saved by the Wolfe Tones netminder. Wolfe Tones tagged on the points to take a vice like grip on the game, while the final nails were put in Corofin's coffin with the concession of two goals in injury time. Full-Time score: Wolfe Tones 3-14 Corofin 0-6

Corofin can take a lot of positives from the 2015 year, with the steady development of an emerging team, coupled with two wins from four in the Championship. While the year is now over for the Intermediate hurlers, the footballers are very much in the hunt for silverware as they take on near neighbours Kilfenora in the Intermediate Football Championship semi-final next Sunday (September 13th) in Miltown Malbay.

The following was the Corofin team line-out and scorers:

1. Ronnie Meere

2. Paul Carkill

3. Donnachadh Kelleher

4. Brendan Keane

5. Damien Ryan 

6. Luke O'Loughlin

7. Paudie Barry 

8. Manus Malone 0-1

9. Jamie Malone 0-1

10. John Keane 

11. Fionn Clancy  

12. Cian O'Dea

13. Stephen Heagney 0-4 (0-3 frees)

14. Eamonn Malone 

15. Eoin Davoren

Jack O'Dea          for   Paudie Barry
Fergus Killeen      for   Eoin Davoren 
Diarmaid Cleary   for   Manus Malone (inj)